launch lane Digital health
Ready to scale your startup?
About Launch Lane
For over 55 years, the University City Science Center has been at the epicenter of innovation-driven economic development in the Philadelphia region. While the Science Center’s offerings have evolved with the changing needs of entrepreneurs over the last half a century, our core mission has remained the same: to support innovation, drive commercialization and bring life-changing technologies to market – all while supporting job creation and equitable economic growth. As a result of our efforts, Science Center-supported businesses account for one out of every 100 jobs in the Greater Philadelphia region and drive $13 billion in economic activity in the region annually.
As we look ahead, social responsibility is shaping our future:
- Our Digital Health Accelerator uses a blind application process that reduces bias in the application process, resulting in three cohorts with over 50% women- and minority-founded businesses. Those companies have gone on to raise an average of more than $3M in follow-on capital and generated an average of over $1M in revenues per company.
- Programming focused on underrepresented communities in technology, including LGBTQ; Black & Brown Founders; small, local businesses through Funding the Hustle; and offering free drop-in space, which is open and available to everyone.
- We cultivate the next generation of leaders through our FirstHand STEM education program for middle and high school students and through our new workforce development initiatives that will help to create more career opportunities for local residents at science and technology companies.
Philadelphia has experienced a renaissance over the last decade that has not only propelled the cultural, recreational and dining scene across the 5th largest metropolitan area, business is booming too. The region boasts established tech and tech-enabled giants like Comcast, SEI, Vanguard and SAP that anchor Greater Philadelphia as a destination for business. But it’s Philadelphia’s robust startup community that’s the catalyst for the city’s transformation – and investors are noticing. So much so, that Philadelphia is experiencing its best year for VC deals since 2000. Further, Philadelphia is ranked 2nd in STEM diversity according to SmartAsset. As a majority-minority city, intentional efforts are being made to ensure the startup ecosystem is reflective of its citizens.
Who Should Apply?
Awards will be granted to companies that best demonstrate the following characteristics through existing or planned activities. We will look for these elements in our selections, but not every company will have all of these characteristics:
- Focus on tech or tech enabled startups.
- Willingness to form partnerships with university, corporates, and/or other affiliates.
- Ability to create jobs in the Greater Philadelphia region.
- History of revenue generation or the ability to provide a matching source of investment.
- Pennsylvania-based operations during the funding period.
- Funds expended in the Greater Philadelphia region.
- Completion of project by August 2021.
What We will Provide?
- Up to $50,000 cash in operational support, to go from research and development into sales.
- Space and resources at the Science Center, ic@3401, and Venture Cafe.
- Guidance in developing relevant business opportunities in the Greater Philadelphia market and beyond.
- Warm introductions to appropriate decision makers within your target market.
- Expert feedback and recommendations for company presentations and materials.
- Mentorship to complement expertise and operational gaps.
Meet The Team
launch lane Digital Health
LAUNCH LANE PHL
3401 Market Street Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19104
UNIVERSITY CITY SCIENCE CENTER
3675 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19104